Sebastien Ogier’s strong statement: “I have wanted this for years”

Toyota rally star Sebastien Ogier has shared his views on the future of the WRC.
Sebastien Ogier
Sebastien Ogier. Photo Pentti-Oskari Ilmonen.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Possible rule changes to the WRC have been a topic of discussion for some time. The large reform package presented by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) did not excite manufacturers or drivers, but now there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

The WRC promoter has better involved drivers and teams in discussions and listened to their ideas. The aim is to improve the series starting next season, for example, by having manufacturers run more cars in the main class.

Final decisions have not yet been made, but according to eight-time world champion Sebastien Ogier, the direction is now the right one.

“I think it’s only positive that we are increasingly involved in these discussions. There hasn’t been any concrete outcome yet, but at least now we have a clearer picture of what the promoter is planning,” Ogier said in Sardinia.

“Of course, we hope to see some results as soon as possible because the situation is quite critical now,” Ogier continued.

The promoter presented its ideas for the series’ future during the Rally Portugal. According to Ogier, the meeting sent encouraging messages.

“I think it was positive because there is now some structure, and we just need to push it forward.”

One change was already seen last week at the Rally Sardinia. The rally was conducted in a shorter format. The shakedown was held on Friday morning, and the race itself started on Friday afternoon. The competition ended on Sunday, so the entire rally was completed in just two days.

“I like it. I’m one of those guys who has wanted this for years,” Ogier said.

“I think it was worth trying. This is a very compact format and surely also suits the fans excellently. At the same time, teams can save on costs. With one less day, there is also more time to be at home,” Ogier noted.

Further clarity on the future directions of the WRC may be available as early as Tuesday when the FIA World Motor Sport Council makes decisions in its meeting.

Also check out

  • Latest news